“I create stories set in dark worlds where death is close at hand. I focus on entangled family dynamics that challenge who we are and how we love. I explore how tragedy strains our relationships and what it means to live with emotional wounds that never truly heal.”
— Kim Garland, Writer & Director
Kim Garland was raised in Hell's Kitchen, NYC, of Puerto Rican descent, and grew up as part of a funeral home family that lived above their funeral home. She worked her way through college covering the night shift at her family’s business and graduated from Columbia University with a degree in Creative Writing.
She began her career in book publishing at Random House and transitioned to the entertainment industry through her work in literary acquisition at Braven Films, as a Story Producer for MTV, and a columnist for Script magazine.
Kim is represented by 3 Arts Entertainment and focuses on dark, genre-driven stories with a particular love for Horror, Sci-Fi, and Thrillers.
Awards & Recognition
* 2019 Lab Fellow, The Black List / Women in Film Episodic Lab: “The Resurrected” 1-hour original pilot script
* 2019 Finalist (Top 18), The Breakk Screenwriting Competition: “The Resurrected” 1-hour original pilot script
* 2019 Finalist (Top 5%), WeScreenplay Diverse Voices Lab: “The Resurrected” 1-hour original pilot script
• 2019 Quarterfinalist (Top 3%), Final Draft Big Break Contest: “The Resurrected” 1-hour original pilot script
* 2016 Winner, Best Narrative Short Film, Flyway Film Festival: “The End of Mara” written & directed by Kim Garland
* 2014 Winner, Audience Award, Mascara & Popcorn Film Festival: “Vivienne Again” written & directed by Kim Garland
* 2012 Winner, Kickstarter Jury Award, Flyway Film Festival: “Vivienne Again” written & directed by Kim Garland
✦ Body Image, Screenwriter, Director
Horror | Short Film | 2017
✦ The End of Mara, Screenwriter, Director, Producer
Supernatural Thriller | Short Film | 2016
* WINNER: Best Narrative Short Film, Flyway Film Festival 2016
✦ Deal Travis In, Screenwriter, Director, Producer
Supernatural Thriller | Short Film | 2013
✦ Vivienne Again, Screenwriter, Director
Supernatural Thriller| Short Film | 2012
* WINNER: Kickstarter Jury Award, Flyway Film Festival 2012
* WINNER: Audience Award, Mascara & Popcorn Film Festival 2014
+ The Resurrected TV pilot written by Kim Garland
1-hour drama | Horror / Supernatural Thriller
* LAB FELLOW: The Black List / Women in Film Episodic Lab 2019
* FINALIST (Top 18): The Breakk Screenwriting Competition 2019
* FINALIST (Top 5%): WeScreenplay Diverse Voices Lab 2019
* QUARTERFINALIST (Top 3%): Final Draft Big Break Contest 2019
+ “La Folie Circulaire” Westworld (HBO) spec script ep. 211 written by Kim Garland
1-hour drama | Science Fiction / Western
✦ Script magazine, Columnist: "Write, Direct, Repeat", 2013-2015
Monthly column geared to screenwriters who want to learn about directing and producing their own work.
• Archive of articles from “Write, Direct, Repeat” >>
✦ Fangoria magazine, Contributor, 2015
Magazine for horror film news, interviews, reviews and features.
• LA Comic Con, Panelist, “GeekFest Filmmakers Panel,” 2018
• Seed&Spark's #FilmCurious chat, Guest, "Diversity in Storytelling," 2014
• Dragon*Con multi-genre convention, Panelist, "Putting Horror on the Screen," 2012
• Romance Writers of America conference, Panelist, "Scriptscene," 2011