Raised in Hell's Kitchen, NYC, of Puerto Rican descent, Kim Garland attended New York City public schools and was an avid reader throughout her childhood.
She grew up as part of a funeral home family that lived above their funeral home. She worked her way through college covering the night shift at her family’s business and graduated from Columbia University with a degree in creative writing (and a whole lot of stories about the dead).
Kim began her career in book publishing at Random House while continuing to write fiction. She found that her dark, genre-driven storytelling was a great match for film and TV and expanded her writing skill set by studying screenwriting at The New School University in New York.
Eager to further develop her writing, Kim took her scripts from the page to the screen and made her directing debut in 2012 with the supernatural thriller, "Vivienne Again,” which is now part of her award-winning Resurrection Trilogy of short films.
Kim has written and directed several films and has screened her work internationally at film festivals, comic cons, and screening series. She recently relocated to Los Angeles and in 2019 was selected to join the Women in Film Mentoring Program in the TV Writers Circle and she placed as a Finalist in the WeScreenplay Diverse Voices Lab.
Awards & Accolades
* 2019 Finalist, WeScreenplay Diverse Voices Lab (still in competition): “The Resurrected” 1-hour original pilot written by Kim Garland
* 2016 Winner, Best Narrative Short Film, Flyway Film Festival: “The End of Mara” written & directed by Kim Garland
* 2014 Winner, Audience Award, Mascara & Popcorn Film Festival: “Vivienne Again” written & directed by Kim Garland
* 2012 Winner, Kickstarter Jury Award, Flyway Film Festival: “Vivienne Again” written & directed by Kim Garland
✦ Body Image, Screenwriter, Director
Horror | Short Film | 2017
✦ The End of Mara, Screenwriter, Director, Producer
Supernatural Thriller | Short Film | 2016
* WINNER: Best Narrative Short Film, Flyway Film Festival 2016
✦ Deal Travis In, Screenwriter, Director, Producer
Supernatural Thriller | Short Film | 2013
✦ Vivienne Again, Screenwriter, Director
Supernatural Thriller| Short Film | 2012
* WINNER: Kickstarter Jury Award, Flyway Film Festival 2012
* WINNER: Audience Award, Mascara & Popcorn Film Festival 2014
+ The Resurrected TV pilot written by Kim Garland
1-hour drama | Horror / Supernatural Thriller
* FINALIST: WeScreenplay Diverse Voices Lab 2019 (still in competition)
+ “La Folie Circulaire” Westworld (HBO) spec script ep. 211 written by Kim Garland
1-hour drama | Science Fiction / Western
✦ Script magazine, Columnist: "Write, Direct, Repeat", 2013-2015
Monthly column geared to screenwriters who want to learn about directing and producing their own work.
• Archive of articles from “Write, Direct, Repeat” >>
✦ Fangoria magazine, Contributor, 2015
Magazine for horror film news, interviews, reviews and features.
• LA Comic Con, Panelist, “GeekFest Filmmakers Panel,” 2018
• Seed&Spark's #FilmCurious chat, Guest, "Diversity in Storytelling," 2014
• Dragon*Con multi-genre convention, Panelist, "Putting Horror on the Screen," 2012
• Romance Writers of America conference, Panelist, "Scriptscene," 2011