Kim Garland is a screenwriter and director from Hell’s Kitchen, NYC. She is a co-owner of City Kid Films, a co-founder of Scriptchat, and a columnist for Script magazine. At Script, she covers her ongoing experience writing and directing her first films in the column, Write, Direct, Repeat.
Kim graduated from Columbia University with a degree in Creative Writing and began her career in book publishing at Random House while continuing to write fiction. She studied screenwriting at The New School University in NYC and transitioned to the film industry through her work in literary acquisition at Braven Films, a production company headed by Producer Frida Torresblanco (Pan’s Labyrinth).
She made her directing debut in 2012 with the award-winning short film Vivienne Again, a supernatural thriller she shot in her parents’ Manhattan funeral home. Shortly after, she directed her second short film, Deal Travis In, a supernatural drama starring Nick Sandow (Boardwalk Empire, Orange is the New Black).
Films written and directed by Kim Garland have screened at a number of film festivals, including the Fantasia International Film Festival, HollyShorts, Dragon*Con, New York International Short Film Festival, Flyway, NewFilmmakers New York, FilmColumbia Festival, and the Big Apple Film Festival.
Writer/Director/Producer, Deal Travis In
Supernatural Drama | Short | 2013 | Trailer | Available on IndieFlix
A man trying to make his peace with the mysterious death of his daughter is offered the answers he’s seeking, but at the cost of his freedom and another woman’s life. The second film in the Resurrection trilogy that began with “Vivienne Again.”
Writer/Director, Vivienne Again
Supernatural Thriller| Short | 2012 | Trailer | Watch the Film Now!
A funeral home employee saves a dead woman from the killer who’s closing in to complete the job. The first film in the Resurrection trilogy that continues with “Deal Travis In.”
* WINNER: Kickstarter Jury Award, Flyway Film Festival 2012
Sci-Fi | Short | In-Development
Supernatural Thriller | Feature | In-Development
Screenwriting & Filmmaking Articles
• Write, Direct, Repeat by Kim Garland, monthly Script magazine column, 2013
• Filmmaking is for Screenwriters Too by Kim Garland, Film Courage, 2010
• Building a Dedicated (and Rocking) Twitter Community Kim Garland, Jon Reiss: Think Outside the Box Office, 2010
Panels & Contest Judging
• Panelist: “Putting Horror on the Screen” Dragon*Con, 2012
• Contest Judge: Romancing the Script, Romance Writers of America, 2011 & 2012
• Panelist: Scriptscene, Romance Writers of America, 2011
• Contest Judge: The Judges for The Story Department, 2011