Kim Garland is an award-winning writer/director originally from Hell's Kitchen, NYC. She creates character-driven stories set in fantastical worlds.
Kim is a graduate of Columbia University, with a degree in Creative Writing, and studied screenwriting at The New School University in New York. She's worked in literary acquisition at Braven Films, as a columnist for Script magazine, and as a Story Producer for MTV.
She has written and directed multiple films, including award-winning short films Vivienne Again (2012) and The End of Mara (2016). Through her production company City Kid Films, she's screened her work internationally at numerous film festivals & screening series.
Next up in 2017, Kim is releasing a horror short film called Body Image (2017) starring Jocelyn Vammer.
To stay updated on Kim's latest projects and upcoming film screenings, please sign up to receive her email newsletter.
✦ Body Image, Writer/Director
Horror | Short Film | 2017
A young woman is tormented by her compulsion to stay thin.
> Currently touring the film festival circuit - see 'Body Image' page for current schedule
✦ The End of Mara, Writer/Director/Producer
Supernatural Thriller | Short Film | 2016
Watch: Trailer | Film | Behind-The-Scenes Videos
A woman helps her husband break free of a curse that’s brought him back from the dead and trapped him on Manhattan Island. Part 3 of the Resurrection Trilogy.
* WINNER: Best Narrative Short Film, Flyway Film Festival 2016
✦ Deal Travis In, Writer/Director/Producer
Supernatural Thriller | Short Film | 2013
Watch: Trailer | Film
A father trying to make his peace with the mysterious death of his daughter is offered the answers he’s seeking, but at the cost of his freedom and another woman’s life. Part 2 of the Resurrection Trilogy.
✦ Vivienne Again, Writer/Director
Supernatural Thriller| Short Film | 2012
Watch: Trailer | Film
A funeral home employee saves a dead woman from the killer who’s closing in to complete the job. Part 1 of the Resurrection Trilogy.
* WINNER: Kickstarter Jury Award, Flyway Film Festival 2012
* WINNER: Audience Award, Mascara & Popcorn Film Festival 2014
• Seed&Spark's #FilmCurious chat, Guest, "Diversity in Storytelling," 2014
• Dragon*Con multi-genre convention, Panelist, "Putting Horror on the Screen," 2012
• Romance Writers of America conference, Panelist, "Scriptscene," 2011
Programming & Judging
• Flyway Film Festival, Short Film Programmer & Juror, 2014
• Romance Writers of America, Contest Judge, "Romancing the Script" contest, 2011 & 2012
• The Story Department, Contest Judge, "The Judges" contest, 2011