Raised in Hell's Kitchen, NYC, of Puerto Rican descent, Kim Garland attended New York City public schools and was an avid reader throughout her childhood.
She grew up as part of a funeral home family that lived above their funeral home. She worked her way through college covering the night shift at her family’s business and graduated from Columbia University with a degree in creative writing (and a whole lot of stories about the dead).
Kim began her career in book publishing at Random House while continuing to write fiction. She found that her dark, genre-driven storytelling was a great match for film and TV, and expanded her writing skillset by studying screenwriting at The New School University in New York.
Eager to further develop her writing, Kim took her scripts from the page to the screen and made her directing debut in 2012 with the supernatural thriller, "Vivienne Again,” which is now part of her award-winning Resurrection Trilogy of short films.
Kim has written and directed several films and has screened her work internationally at film festivals, comic cons, and screening series. In 2017, she relocated to Los Angeles and was recently selected to join the Women in Film Mentoring Program in the 2019 TV Writers Circle.
✦ The End of Mara, Screenwriter, Director, Producer
Supernatural Thriller | Short Film | 2016
Watch: Trailer | Film | Behind-The-Scenes Videos
A woman helps her husband break free of a curse that’s brought him back from the dead and
trapped him on Manhattan Island. Part 3 of the Resurrection Trilogy.
* WINNER: Best Narrative Short Film, Flyway Film Festival 2016
✦ Deal Travis In, Screenwriter, Director, Producer
Supernatural Thriller | Short Film | 2013
Watch: Trailer | Film
A father trying to make his peace with the mysterious death of his daughter is offered the answers
he’s seeking, but at the cost of his freedom and another woman’s life. Part 2 of the Resurrection Trilogy.
✦ Vivienne Again, Screenwriter, Director
Supernatural Thriller| Short Film | 2012
Watch: Trailer | Film
A funeral home employee saves a dead woman from the killer who’s closing in to complete the job.
Part 1 of the Resurrection Trilogy.
* WINNER: Kickstarter Jury Award, Flyway Film Festival 2012
* WINNER: Audience Award, Mascara & Popcorn Film Festival 2014
✦ Script magazine, Columnist: "Write, Direct, Repeat", 2013-2015
Monthly column geared to screenwriters who want to learn about directing and producing their own work.
• Archive of articles from “Write, Direct, Repeat” >>
✦ Fangoria magazine, Contributor, 2015
Magazine for horror film news, interviews, reviews and features.
• "The Atticus Institute" by Kim Garland
February 2015 print issue #339
• "Q&A: Actors William Mapother and Rya Kihlstedt Face-Off in 'The Atticus Institute'” by Kim Garland
January 23, 2015, Fangoria.com
• LA Comic Con, Panelist, “GeekFest Filmmakers Panel,” 2018
• Seed&Spark's #FilmCurious chat, Guest, "Diversity in Storytelling," 2014
• Dragon*Con multi-genre convention, Panelist, "Putting Horror on the Screen," 2012
• Romance Writers of America conference, Panelist, "Scriptscene," 2011
Programming & Judging
• Flyway Film Festival, Short Film Programmer & Juror, 2014
• Romance Writers of America, Contest Judge, "Romancing the Script" contest, 2011 & 2012
• The Story Department, Contest Judge, "The Judges" contest, 2011