Kim Garland is a screenwriter and director from Hell’s Kitchen, NYC. She is a co-owner of City Kid Films, a co-founder of Scriptchat, and a columnist for Script magazine. At Script, she covers her ongoing experience writing and directing her first films in the column, Write, Direct, Repeat.
Kim graduated from Columbia University with a degree in Creative Writing and began her career in book publishing at Random House while continuing to write fiction. She studied screenwriting at The New School University in NYC and transitioned to the film industry through her work in literary acquisition at Braven Films, a production company headed by Producer Frida Torresblanco (Pan’s Labyrinth).
Kim made her directing debut in 2012 with the award-winning short film Vivienne Again, a supernatural thriller. Shortly after, she directed her second short film, Deal Travis In, a supernatural thriller starring Nick Sandow (Orange is the New Black, Boardwalk Empire).
Films written and directed by Kim Garland have screened at numerous film festivals, including Fantasia International Film Festival, HollyShorts, Dragon*Con, New York International Short Film Festival, Flyway, NewFilmmakers New York, FilmColumbia Festival, and the Big Apple Film Festival.
A funeral home employee saves a dead woman from the killer who’s closing in to complete the job.
The first film in the Resurrection Trilogy.
* WINNER: Kickstarter Jury Award, Flyway Film Festival 2012
* WINNER: Audience Award, Mascara & Popcorn Film Festival 2014
A man trying to make his peace with the mysterious death of his daughter is offered the answers he’s seeking, but at the cost of his freedom and another woman’s life.
The second film in the Resurrection Trilogy.
> Untitled third film of the Resurrection Trilogy, Writer/Director/Producer
Supernatural Thriller | Short | 2015
> Intangible, Writer/Director
Supernatural Thriller | Feature | In-Development
Screenwriting & Filmmaking Articles
• Write, Direct, Repeat by Kim Garland, monthly Script magazine column, 2013-2014
• Filmmaking is for Screenwriters Too by Kim Garland, Film Courage, 2010
• Building a Dedicated (and Rocking) Twitter Community by Kim Garland, Jon Reiss: Think Outside the Box Office, 2010
Panels & Judging
• Guest Short Film Programmer
: Flyway Film Festival, Pepin, WI, 2014
• Panelist: “Putting Horror on the Screen” Dragon*Con, Atlanta, GA, 2012
• Contest Judge: Romancing the Script, Romance Writers of America, 2011 & 2012
• Panelist: Scriptscene, Romance Writers of America conference, NYC, 2011
• Contest Judge: The Judges for The Story Department, 2011