Kim Garland is a screenwriter and director specializing in Horror, Sci-Fi, and Thriller stories. She is a co-owner of City Kid Films, a co-founder of Scriptchat, and a columnist for Script magazine. At Script, she covers her ongoing experience writing and directing her first films in the column, Write, Direct, Repeat.
Kim graduated from Columbia University with a degree in Creative Writing and began her career in book publishing at Random House while continuing to write Fiction.
She studied screenwriting at The New School University and transitioned to the film industry through her work in literary acquisition at Braven Films, a production company headed by Producer Frida Torresblanco (Pan’s Labyrinth).
Kim made her directing debut in 2012 with the award-winning short film Vivienne Again, a supernatural thriller. Shortly after, she directed her second short, Deal Travis In, a supernatural drama starring Nick Sandow (Orange is the New Black, Boardwalk Empire).
Films written and directed by Kim Garland have screened at numerous film festivals, including Fantasia International Film Festival, HollyShorts, Dragon*Con, New York International Short Film Festival, Flyway, NewFilmmakers New York, FilmColumbia Festival, and the Big Apple Film Festival.
> The End of Mara, Writer/Director/Producer
Supernatural Thriller | Short | In-Development
A woman helps her husband break free of a curse that’s brought him back to life and trapped him on Manhattan Island.
> Deal Travis In, Writer/Director/Producer
Supernatural Drama | Short | 2013
Trailer | Subscribe to Watch for Free | Available on IndieFlix
A man trying to make his peace with the mysterious death of his daughter is offered the answers he’s seeking, but at the cost of his freedom and another woman’s life.
> Vivienne Again, Writer/Director
Supernatural Thriller| Short | 2012
Trailer | Watch Now for Free | Available on IndieFlix
A funeral home employee saves a dead woman from the killer who’s closing in to complete the job.
* WINNER: Kickstarter Jury Award, Flyway Film Festival 2012
* WINNER: Audience Award, Mascara & Popcorn Film Festival 2014
> Intangible, Writer/Director Supernatural Thriller | Feature | In-Development
Screenwriting & Filmmaking Articles
• Write, Direct, Repeat by Kim Garland, monthly Script magazine column, 2013-Present My column for screenwriters who want to learn about directing and producing their own work. I cover a range of filmmaking topics that include script development, casting, directing, producing, marketing, distribution and more.
• Script magazine column archive > >
• Filmmaking is for Screenwriters Too by Kim Garland, Film Courage, 2010
• Building a Dedicated (and Rocking) Twitter Community Kim Garland, Jon Reiss: Think Outside the Box Office, 2010
• Script Research: Rock Star Biographies and Memoirs by Kim Garland, 2012
• Script Research: Films About Ghosts and the Supernatural by Kim Garland, 2011
• Filmmaking is for the Spontaneous and Courageous (AKA My Acting Debut) by Kim Garland, 2011
• How the Game of Telephone is Ruining Your Pitch by Kim Garland, 2010
• If the Treefort's A Rockin' by Kim Garland, 2010
• Social Networking Cooties: Put Your Pitch Back in Your Pants by Kim Garland, 2010
• Literary Boogers: Why Writers Should Grab a Tissue and Start Editing by Kim Garland, 2010
• Your First Screenplay Will Most Likely Blow by Kim Garland, 2010