Kim Garland is an award-winning screenwriter and director who specializes in character-driven stories set in fantastical worlds. She was recently selected to join the Women in Film Mentoring Program in the Writer Circle for the 2018-19 cycle.
Kim is originally from Hell's Kitchen, NYC, and currently lives in Los Angeles, CA. She’s a graduate of Columbia University, with a Bachelor’s degree in Creative Writing, and studied screenwriting at The New School University in New York. She's worked in literary acquisition at Braven Films, as a columnist for Script magazine, and as a Story Producer for MTV.
Kim has written and directed several films, including, award-winning shorts Vivienne Again (2012) and The End of Mara (2016). She’s screened her work internationally at film festivals & screening series and is currently touring with her latest film, Body Image, a horror short that’s screening at festivals and comic cons across the US.
✦ The End of Mara, Screenwriter, Director, Producer
Supernatural Thriller | Short Film | 2016
Watch: Trailer | Film | Behind-The-Scenes Videos
A woman helps her husband break free of a curse that’s brought him back from the dead and
trapped him on Manhattan Island. Part 3 of the Resurrection Trilogy.
* WINNER: Best Narrative Short Film, Flyway Film Festival 2016
✦ Deal Travis In, Screenwriter, Director, Producer
Supernatural Thriller | Short Film | 2013
Watch: Trailer | Film
A father trying to make his peace with the mysterious death of his daughter is offered the answers
he’s seeking, but at the cost of his freedom and another woman’s life. Part 2 of the Resurrection Trilogy.
✦ Vivienne Again, Screenwriter, Director
Supernatural Thriller| Short Film | 2012
Watch: Trailer | Film
A funeral home employee saves a dead woman from the killer who’s closing in to complete the job.
Part 1 of the Resurrection Trilogy.
* WINNER: Kickstarter Jury Award, Flyway Film Festival 2012
* WINNER: Audience Award, Mascara & Popcorn Film Festival 2014
• LA Comic Con, Panelist, “GeekFest Filmmakers Panel,” 2018
• Seed&Spark's #FilmCurious chat, Guest, "Diversity in Storytelling," 2014
• Dragon*Con multi-genre convention, Panelist, "Putting Horror on the Screen," 2012
• Romance Writers of America conference, Panelist, "Scriptscene," 2011
Programming & Judging
• Flyway Film Festival, Short Film Programmer & Juror, 2014
• Romance Writers of America, Contest Judge, "Romancing the Script" contest, 2011 & 2012
• The Story Department, Contest Judge, "The Judges" contest, 2011